Saturday, September 9, 2017

September 7, 2017
FIRST WEEK


Honestly this is insane. I love the MTC the food is OK, but it's all the time so that freaking rocks. My companion is named elder Lomax. And we room with elder Valdez, and elder Matthews. We are all swishing the Columbus Ohio mission. I'm gong to dive right I to my experiences because they are crazy.



When I first showed up, everything got was a blur. I almost forgot to say goodbye to. To my family. Everything happened so fast. They gave me my name tag and everything seems that I would need, that I didn't already have. They took me to my residence and my key didn't work so we just left my suitcases in the middle of the hall and next thing g I knew I was sitting in the classroom. And then I felt better. All my worries, gone. Then my companion walked in. And I got even better. Elder Lomax is from Layton. He played baseball and basket ball in high school. Seriously a homie also.



We had a meeting to meet our branch president and next thing I know I'm called to be the district leader. At first I was like "rip me" but I love it. It's just more of the lords work I get to do, and it's awesome. And what makes it better is that I love my district. Everyone in it is a super homie.



We have what are called PPIs and that's just pretty much where your teacher goes into a room and becomes an investigator. And then you teach them. The first one was Aura. Everything was a jumbled mess with her haha she thought we were Bible study consolers haha. But Elder Lomax and I really hit it off with Darcie. Which is crazy, because no one else I  our district can  really get to her. She's stubborn, and to a lot of companionships she appeared scary and I timid aging.



When Darcie was sixteen, she struggled with an eating disorder. Her catholic parents told her to pray about it, and it would get better. Well with Darcie, it didn't get better until after she stopped praying. Therefore she doesn't believe in God. And she doesn't trust anyone. Not even us. Our first lesson with Darcie went well. We taught her and we related to her and we really truly loved her. So when we invited her to read the book of Mormon, and pray about it to see if it was true, she accepted. But she wouldn't pray. Definately WOULD NOT pray. I forgot to. Mention that she was getting ready to go to Yale and she is in her early mid twenties. Our second lesson with her, we followed up with her. She had only read a couple pages.



That's when it got powerful.



I bore testimony that I knew that she was a great person, striving to be better. And I told her that this gospel, and the Book of Mormon would help her with that. And I told her that I Knew she had faith, but I read the scripture in James that says faith without works is dead. And then I asked her so sincerely to be humble. So that we could get to her. So that we could tech her. So that we could help her. Because she was not doing alright. We invited her to read Moroni 10 and then sincerely pray about it. She said she would read, and consider praying. SHE WOULD CONSIDER ACTUALLY PRAYING. We figured that she was scared to, for the reason she would get back to rock bottom if she didn't feel anything. 



Our third lesson was the most powerful of all. She explained that she read Moroni 10 and tried to pray. But she couldn't be sincere. She said that she built up this wall between her and everyone else. Including God and herself. And I asked if it was because she was scared to fall back into her old habits, and she said yes. And again elder Lomax and I bore testimony. We shared personal experiences. Showing her how the gospel has helped us I  our lives, then we taught about Christ and his atonement. And the fact that he suffered and died for her personally. And he knows her by name. Then I leaned in (totally pulled a Ronald Regan) and said "tear down that wall."  and got the point across that it was restricting her more than it was helping her. The spirit was as thick as cottage cheese. Tears were in all of our eyes as she excepted the challenge to pray sincerely. So we will see what happens with her next time we meet :) 



Oh also we had our first TRC yesterday. And that could have been a real. Investigator. We taught him the restoration of the gospel, answered his questions and prayed with him. But here's the problem. I forgot his name for a sec, and thought that it was Elijah. But then I was like NO ITS BENJAMIN. so while I was praying I was repeating in my mind "don't say Elijah don't say Elijah. And then I unconsciously said" please bless the spirit to be with Elijah" and got up and said thanks Benjamin and left. I couldn't understsnd why my companion was laughing. Until I said, "I said Elijah didn't I?" and now I feel strait up done. 



I've seen so many missionaries that I already know here and I freaking love it. 



Love you all stay strong have an amazing week 












1 comment:

  1. Looking great Elder Carter... and when the spirit's as thick as cottage cheese you know it's thick. xox

    ReplyDelete

October 2, 2017

Ed's Email address: edward.carter@myldsmail.com For questions/current mailing address, email me at: mommycarter@hotmail.com Well...